Monday, March 05, 2007

Dade cops' new beat: MySpace - 03/05/2007 - MiamiHerald.com

Dade cops' new beat: MySpace - 03/05/2007 - MiamiHerald.com
If I'd found this on myspace itself I'd have thought it was a joke. But it's for real, the Miami-Dade police department has started a myspace profile. I find it somewhat amusing that they used pimp-my-profile. com to make their page virtually unreadable. Something odd about seeing In God We Trust followed immediately by www.pimp-my-profile.com. There's a kernel of a good idea here, to give parents the option of allowing their kids to have myspace profile if they add the police department (the page is specifially monitored by the sexual crimes bureau). However, it seems like it's likely to give parents a false sense of security. Friends can't see private messages and instant messages and who knows how thoroughly the pd will screen comments and bulletins over time. Who will be the first to make the ironic Miami-Dade Police Department is in my Top 8 T-shirt?

No comments: