Friday, May 13, 2005

The Friday Cocktail - Old Fashioned

Fish Club: Old Fashioned

I never did get a mint julep last weekend, my mint had been used up by Cytrus Ginger-Mint Lemonades and I couldn't find any at the store or via friends. So, now I'm thinking of another good springtime bourbon based cocktail, the Old Fashioned. This led me to the drinkboy and I just found out that he has a blog where he takes pictures of coctails he has at different bars and describes the drink and experience. I wish I could get paid to do that. The link goes to his experience at The Fish Club in Seattle with an Old Fashioned.

"I of course started out with an Old Fashioned. And to my surprise she made it almost perfectly. Out of a score of 1 to 10, I'd give her an 8, which is quite remarkable considering most O.F.s would be lucky to get up to a 5. She started off by placing two half-wheels of orange into the glass (I would have only used one), along with some bitters and a sugar cube. She then added an extra dash of simple syrup (I would have skipped the cube, and added more syrup), and then proceeded to lightly muddle the orange and sugar to dissolve. She then added the ice, followed by the bourbon, and then garnished with two small brandied cherries skewered on a pick. I was pleased to see that she didn't muddle the cherries in the drink along with the orange, and I was extra pleased to see that they were taking the effort to use "quality" cherries, instead of the artificially flavored/colored commercial maraschino cherries."

I'm sure I will have all of those ingredients.

Cheers

No comments: