Thursday, June 23, 2005

33 1/3 What's that?

When I first launched this blog on my 33rd birthday, my quantitatively inclined friend Chris emailed and mentioned that when he turned 33 he immediately thought of lps playing at 33 1/3 rpm and he mentioned that my lpday would be June 25. I set me palm pilot to remind me, so I could do some lp based blogging in honor of my 33 1/3rd.

My first lps were:

and

Rock on. These were xmas gifts from my aunt Linda and they were actually hand me downs from her collection. I still have all but one of the temporary tattoos that came with one of those albums. I eventually ended up with her whole Kiss collection. I think I was 5.

Less cool, the first lp that I bought with my own hard earned, saved up allowance was:

OK, it was 1981 or 82, and I was only 9 or 10 years old, but I do still have it somewhere. After that, there were mostly pop music lps that I'm not particularly proud of:

The Bee Gees Greatest hits LP had the coolest embossed cover that I made rubbings from.
And here's the beginning of the end:

This was the last lp I thought I would ever buy (or get as a gift, I can't recall). This is also the only lp that I ended up with a cassette tape of, ending my time with lps, or so I thought. I got my first boom box around this time and switched to cassettes through high school and got a cd player for hs graduation, ending the tape collection. Of course, it was in college in the early 90s that I was caught up in grunge and diy which inevitably led back to vinyl. Mostly 7inch singles, but a few picture discs and other oddities (like 7inches that played at 33 1/3). Then I got into garage saleing and thrifting lounge music and other lps. I'll post something tomorrow on these newer/old lps.

I'd be interested in hearing any of your vinyl memories (lp type, not fetish, though you could share those too if you like).

No comments: