Thursday, April 21, 2005

Holly Streekstra Video Installation at LSU Sculpture Park

DSCF0864
I don't know if anyone notices the flickr image spinner thing in the right column, but if you do, you might have noticed that I've finally added some pictures to the mix. Now, there's St. Patty's Day party pics, and LSU sculpture park pics to go with the Mardi Gras pics. Now that I'm up and running with the new (to us) camera, I'll probably add more.

At any rate, I wanted to highlight this photo from Holly Streekstra's video installation at the LSU Sculpture Park. For those who haven't been to the park, it is surrounded by 3 fairly typical, brick, university buildings, and 1 not so typical, brick, former engineering shop turned art building. Holly, as I understand it, found film of the buildings from when they were new. She edited the footage. Then, after dark, the night of the Sculpture park reception, she projected the videos from inside each building onto one window or set of windows. The effect was great. The photo doesn't quite do it justice. The images were very clear and you could see flickers of light in the leaves of the trees as the video shown through the window.

If you want to see any of the other pictures, just click the flickr zeitgeist in the right hand column and it will take you to my public pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for putting up Holly's pix, i would not have known about it otherwise. I love her idea and bet it was pretty striking at night.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting . . . I was thinking of projecting something onto the mylar screens in my office window, which faces the sculpture park. It’ll be a war of the projections, we’ll have a light war!

experiment33 said...

I'm pretty sure her installation was a one night thing. So no war.

Anonymous said...

You know,,,,i don't want to sound like i'm bragging, but i guess i am. i am entirely lucky to have a decent share of streekstra art layered throughout my house, as she needed a home for it while away at school. and so, i am jealous of all who got to see her latest work. it sounded super cool. thanks for taking and posting the pic. living vicariously....