Thursday, April 21, 2005

"You wouldn't understand, it's a right-brain thing."

Where MBAs Learn The Art Of Blue-Skying

but now they'll try to teach you. On the heels of a wired magazine article about the return of the right brain, this business week article announces a cooperative agreement between a California art and design school and the leading business school in France. The point of the program is to teach business students the importance of design and innovation. When I read the wired article I thought, that would be nice, but I didn't really believe it would happen. This looks like tangible evidence. Personally, I've always felt I was a little more left than right brained, but I always wanted both. That pushed me away from math, physical sciences, and business, and toward the social sciences. For some reason, early on I recognized the importance of creativity and innovation in social research and it fit my blend of left and right brainedness. Now, it looks like I might have missed the boat (now, I'm completely happy with what I'm doing). I realized a while ago the right brainedness of math and physical sciences, but was already happily on my path. And, I probably realized that the leading edge of business always had to have some right brain thinking, but it seemed to me that it would take too much and too long to get there. Now, maybe the tide is turning and that type of thinking is becoming more obviously valued.

Speaking of myself and my right brain. Janet and I started in earnest on our first true video collaboration last night. It was a perfect Louisiana spring evening on our patio, under the moon, jazz on the radio, cat trying to sit on whatever piece of paper we were working with. We're planning to move quickly on this and have something done in time for the art melt, which I think is in June. Of course I'll keep you informed of our progress right here.

Link via Core77

No comments: