Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wired News: New Dr. Who Leaked on Purpose?

Wired News: New Dr. Who Leaked on Purpose?

I almost blogged the news that the first episode of the new Doctor Who series had leaked to the web and was available via bit torrent, but I didn't. Now, this is a little more interesting, it appears that the BBC had been looking into the concept of viral marketing and had been told that leaking an episode before the official premier would be the best type of viral marketing they could use.

"I told them they should release things before their time, like what they've done with Doctor Who," he said. "Give out the first episode online, because it's going to be valuable. You've got that cool factor, and it's the whole, 'I've seen it before you have' kind of thing."

Dr. Who Scarf I'm already cynical enough without having to distrust peer to peer networks, damn. Oh well, now that I've been to the official Dr. Who site, I can't really get to excited since the good Dr. is missing the crazy hair and the scarf.

And remember, right now you, yes you, have that cool factor, you've seen this blog before everyone else.

No comments: